My dear all,
I’m sorry for the radio silence. You will all have noticed (hopefully!) that the sun has finally come out, the temperatures have gone up, and that means I’m not one for being stuck inside the house all day. Still, I suppose it’s no excuse for not keeping up-to-date with my blog….
I will be honest with you – since my last wet-plate shoot with Alice I have not done much in the sense of photography. I know, I know, I should be ashamed of myself! But it was so NICE and WARM outside so I started to focus on my Etsy shop.
My Etsy shop. You must have heard of Etsy by now. Large marketplace for vintage and handmade goods? Well, You’ve heard about it now! After a little bit of thought but mostly on a whim, I called mine 1000crows <— just click and it’ll take you there. I’m selling antique and vintage goods, some up-cycled items and some of my own photography. There is still plenty to learn, but I think I’m getting there. Last Friday I joined team Cambridge at the Etsy HQ Craft Party in London – which was great fun – but it was also blogged about on Etsy UK. You can find it here. I’m on the team photo (holding the UK sign). The crafty photo with the lady’s head sewn up is also mine – the finished result looked like this.
On that happy note, I did do a little in the way of photography – After my last shoot, I put all my chemicals in boxes and left them in our conservatory – and I know what your thinking – the heat will have gotten to them. My thoughts exactly, so I set about testing them yesterday on some little bits of plexiglass. I’m happy to say that it looks like they were unaffected. I do have to say that it’s weird working with plexiglass as it’s so hard to judge the development / density if you can’t see through your material. As I’m planning to do tin typing in the future, I suppose I’d better get used to it.
Some of my latest salt prints over these last couple of weeks were also a success. The coloration on some of them is nice and cool whilst maintaining the deep blacks and detail. The solar prints are a hit-and-miss, it might have something to do with the chemical balance or the way I’m putting the silver nitrate mix onto paper, for the results keep varying – with paper being very sensitive and evenly coated to it only being half sensitive and not even properly at that.